News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/29/2016 9:54:07 AM to 2/1/2017 12:05:01 AM.

News Flash

Home - Public Notices

Posted on: November 29, 2016

[ARCHIVED] Changes to Accessory Sq. Footage Allowances in Multi-Parcel Country Residential Subdivisions

The RM Zoning Bylaw previously required that all accessory buildings (i.e. garages, shops, outbuildings, etc.) within multi-parcel country residential subdivisions be limited in floor area to be no larger than the floor area of the principal building (i.e. residence).

Recently Council changed the regulations to allow for the maximum combined floor area of accessory buildings to be tied to the size of the parcel within multi-parcel country residential subdivisions. 

Accessory buildings now can have a maximum combined floor area no greater in size than:

  • For parcel size less than 0.40 ha (<1 ac): Max. 150 m² (1,614.6 sq. ft.);
  • For parcel size of 0.41 (1 acre) to up 0.99 ha (2.46 acres): Max. 250m² (2,691 sq. ft.) or the maximum site coverage for all buildings on site shall be 40% whichever is less. 
  • For parcel size of 1 ha (2.47 acres) up to 2.02 ha (4.9 acres): Max. 285 m² (3,067.7 sq. ft.)
  • For parcel size of 2.03 ha (5 acres) up to 4.05 ha (9.9 acres): Max. 330 m² (3,552.1 sq. ft.)
  • For parcel size of greater than 4.05 ha (10 acres): Max. 380 m² (4,090.3 sq. ft.)

In addition, no one accessory building is permitted to have a maximum floor area greater in size than the principal dwelling. So while any one building cannot be larger than the principal dwelling, you can have any amount of accessory buildings, that meet setbacks and other requirements, that combine to the total maximum floor area listed above.

Additional amendments that were made include:

  • All accessory buildings in Country Residential Zoning Districts should complement and respect the general quality, design and exterior finish of properties in the surrounding development.
  • Require the storage of materials, goods or equipment related to Home Based Businesses to be located within the residence or accessory building. Outdoor storage is only allowed at the discretion of Council.

If you are located in a multi-parcel country residential subdivision and want to construct a new accessory building, please contact the RM Planning Department with your legal land location at 306-242-9303 or

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home - Public Notices

Public Hearings Time Change

Posted on: September 25, 2023